Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Beginnings

Here I am, finally creating a blog. I expect it to be an uphill struggle to make posts, but hey, what the heck. I certainly want a place to post what I'm thinking about from time to time.

As that this is the first post, I think it's fitting to explain myself a bit. The nick Æther is mostly a joke for me and has multiple meanings. I first saw the word on Magic: The Gathering cards. The Æ character is created in Windows operating systems by holding the alt key while typing 146 on the numeric keypad (or keypad equivalent on a laptop). Æther was considered to be the fifth element at times, as well as theorized in other scientific realms that I need not get into. All of these have been disproved.

In modern organic chemistry, ethers are a class of compounds with to carbons bonded to an oxygen. Colliquially, ether refers to one particular member of this class, diethyl ether. Diethyl ether was the first anaesthetic ever used in medicine and was the first major advance Americans made to modern medicine.

In addition, there's also ethernet, but I won't get into that in the interest of not being too boring from the start. My intent with this blog is to discuss what's on my mind. We'll see where that leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment