By the by, there is another meaning to the term mimetic that applies to psychosis, but of course this is not mentioned in my dictionary, so we'll let it be our little secret.
For any reader that doesn't know what a meme is, it is, as I understand it, just an idea in the form of a phrase or picture that spreads at a viral pace on the Internet. Memes interest me because I personally rarely see them, yet a certain subset of people I know allow a certain number of them to reach me for dissection. Apparently I'm not incredibly in touch with Internet culture, which is just fine with me. In any case, I take an interest as that they are a relatively new form of culture that's, in reality, completely unknown to a large portion of the population.
A more recent meme I've seen is epic
Most of the opinions I hear on matters these days I've heard time and again. All too often people just prescribe to some pre-established set of ideas without any originality. Part of the appeal of memes is that it allows a person to forgo originality in favor of utter nonsense. We should all strive to have unique thoughts and not be controlled by the will of another. It is one of my greatest fears that I will never again have a unique thought, and it is part of what drives me to whatever I might accomplish in the future.
Another meme I once saw, but is now dying, is the ??? profit idea. Apparently this one started with gnomes that magically get profit from a strange idea. I don't know much about it, but this meme appealed to be because it seems to be the business strategy of far too many executives these days. There really is no plan besides eventually making profit. It also appealed to me because I like the idea of ambiguity and skipping ahead, and the ??? just spoke to me.
There are many other memes, but only those two come to mind at the moment as having any significance to me. Perhaps I'm far too tired due to the time change to think of others. I'm still looking for the hour button on my circadian rhythm after having changed all my other clocks. Alas.

mimetic meme is mimetic
ReplyDelete^ relevant meme is relevant
In any case, I applaud your goal of avoiding memes. They exist in an environment with evolutionary pressures, and appear to respond to them, so if we don't check their progress they could eventually develop to the point of sentience and take over our minds.
(Speaking of memes replacing conscious thought, I'm afraid that David has become quite the /b/tard in your absence :( )
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHm... Interesting article. First, I would like to shed some light on the ??? Profit meme you discussed. I have seen this on both 4chan's /b/ and in a south park episode about underwear gnomes. The Gnomes have a business plan where they steal peoples underwear, ???, Profit. The episode came out around the time of the Dot Com bust, so I am going to say that this episode is social commentary on behalf of the writers of South Park. Now which came first, the chicken or the egg? I am going to say 4Chan got it off South Park and made it a meme.
ReplyDeleteBut what IS a meme? A meme is an idea or protocol that spreads quickly from person to person via the internet.
Now that brings me to my next point. I completely disagree that meme's purpose is to forgo originality. The purpose of a meme is communication. For example, let’s examine the meme "Obvious Troll is obvious". To make this discussion easier I will define the terms we are about to use. The meaning of obvious is obvious. The meaning of Troll is someone who is purposefully trying to upset/get a reaction out of/needlessly disagree with someone. (Now to deflect a "obvious troll is obvious" meme to appear as a response below me I will defend myself now by saying I was forced into replying by one P.Static’s labeling of me as a /b/tard.) This meme was created to point out when someone is trolling. Often times on 4Chan, someone posts a thread that is racist, sexist, Anti-US or some such topic that will enflame passions and get more replies to their thread. Someone uses the adjective noun is adjective meme to say 1) I know u are trolling 2)I wont give in 3)warning other people, ignore this thread.
Another example of a communicative meme is the “It’s a trap”. This meme is used to warn people looking at a picture of what looks like a beautiful woman that she is in fact a man. This can be taken out of context to apply to other situations where humor may be derived.
ReplyDeleteAnother meme that fits with my theme is Philosoraptor. This raptor head appears in threads where OP (the person who started the thread. Yet another example of memes being used a communication) is asking a deep/philosophical question. Responses then align to the theme that the OP has established using this meme.
The last example I will drudge up is the Op/Anon meme. Op, is used to describe the person who started a thread or topic. This is more of a short hand, such as asap or something. Anon is used to mean everyone else, in this context. So the Op posts to anon, and anon delivers. This meme helps to define roles within each thread.
When not used in a communicative way memes merely act as inside jokes. An inside joke is not unoriginal or redundant, but can be repetitive. Inside jokes are born when two or more people take something that happened between them and make it a long running joke. The people who make it think it is hilarious until it becomes so repetitive that they just sort of drop it. People not in on the joke usually don’t appreciate the humor. Over 9000, sage, “It’s a Trap”, etc etc were all thought up by individuals at some point and are used as a source of humor for those who enjoy them.
Memes are also perfect examples of the creative process. This can be best explained using 4Chan as the model, since most memes (and the idea of a meme) bgein and end with 4Chan. At any given time, there are about 5 people trying to start new memes on 4chan and at any given time there are around 22,995 people shooting those new ones down. In order for a meme to make it, it has to serve either function of being communicative or funny enough to become a running inside joke with 4Chan users. That can be a very arduous task and unoriginality is often caught and mocked.
ReplyDeleteTo end my defense of memes, and since class is about to end and I am going to move onto bigger and better things, I will move on to my main point of contention, the use of the phrase “Part of the appeal of memes is that it allows a person to forgo originality in favor of utter nonsense.” I believe I have provided enough examples to prove that the appeal of memes is to act as mechanisms of communication and community. After all, if one does not know about memes or stay in touch with internet culture and its use of memes how is nonsense to be judged? Java class is now over, so anon rests.
"I am going to say 4Chan got it off South Park and made it a meme."
ReplyDeleteI can say that the moon is made of delicious cake, but that doesn't make it true. I'm pretty sure that this meme was on Slashdot before 4chan existed.
"The purpose of a meme is communication."
BEEP wrong. Memes are occasionally used to communicate, but you can use anything to communicate - words, pictures, flags, hands, zeros and ones, musical instruments, the list goes on. To the extent that memes can be said to have a purpose, their only purpose is to spread to new minds and take root. They are properly understood as lifeforms, similar to viruses, that spread through our culture rather than our bodily fluids. I can communicate with you by coughing, but that doesn't make the swine flu worthy of a three-post defense.
"OP/Anon" is terminology, not a meme. It's an important distinction. It can be fuzzy sometimes, but I would say that in general, terminology refers to something very specific, while a meme is more self-contained (and therefore more widely applicable).
"since most memes (and the idea of a meme) bgein and end with 4Chan."
Alright I have to object to this. The concept of memes has existed for *decades*. As usual, you give /b/ far too much credit. ;)
"Java class is now over, so anon rests."
Pretty sure you're not supposed to call yourself anon when we know who you are. XD
Alrighty, so i am gonna go with the rules of debate roll with the fact that my definition stands, and any points not countered in the rebuttal are agreed with and no longer an issue (tends to help people from going back and trying a new tact in the last round of rebuttals in tournaments)
ReplyDelete"I am going to say 4Chan got it off South Park and made it a meme."
I am surprised this was a point of contention. I thought the way it was worded made it sound like opinion. 4chan does not keep records of this, and i looked at Slashdot and did not find the ??? profit meme. [insert your first line about cake].
The purpose of a meme is communication.
DING right. "Memes are occasionally used to communicate" thus admitting they are used for communicating. Yes u can use anythign to communicate, but people chose certain meme's to mean certain things. So if i say 2 coughs mean A in a test situation, i created that to communicate. The fact that other things are nouns too does not detract from meme's communicative purpose. I also provided ample examples where that IS the case. Ex (again) It's a trap's sole purpose is to COMMUNICATE when u know the pic is of a tranny.
"They are properly understood as lifeforms, similar to viruses, that spread through our culture rather than our bodily fluids. I can communicate with you by coughing, but that doesn't make the swine flu worthy of a three-post defense."
I contest, but this attack seems to be another moon = cake.
part II
ReplyDelete"OP/Anon" is terminology, not a meme."
Anything can become a meme, terminology is no different. "It's a trap" is a specific meme warning of a specific problem. meme's dont have to be general statements. This is like saying adjectives cannot be memes, which is ridiculous since anything can become a meme. In fact a meme is only a meme when it DOES communicate something, otherwise it is just gibberish.
""since most memes (and the idea of a meme) bgein and end with 4Chan.""
I agree with your point, memes have excited for decades, but this is the main place i have learned them and so my main source.
"Java class is now over, so anon rests."
I am using an avatar that i can change! My identity is SECRET! SHHHHHHHHH